Health Tips - Propyl Alcohol

Propyl Alcohol

Propyl alcohol is a very common solvent. A solvent is a substance that dissolves a solid, liquid, or gaseous solution. The word solvent comes from the Latin “solvere”, to loosen.

Propyl alcohol poisoning can occur from ingestion, inhalation, or absorption. Symptoms of propyl alcohol poisoning include flushing, headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, coma, and depression of brain function. Health risks with solvents include toxicity to the nervous system, reproductive damage, liver and kidney damage, respiratory impairment, cancer, and inflammation of the skin.

The manufacturer’s Material Safety Data Sheet says propyl alcohol is described as having a moderate health hazard rating. It says, "Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothes. . .Wash exposed area with soap and water."

Propyl alcohol is found in many cosmetics and food products. It is used as a disinfectant or as a preservative. Yet it really shouldn’t be used near you or in your home, certainly not with any frequency.

As I discussed in my Skin Health chemicals that contact your skin go into your body. In the Material Safety Data Sheet it says, " May be absorbed through the skin with possible systemic effects.” Systemic means “affecting an entire system." In other words, propyl alcohol contacting your skin can affect your whole body.

It’s a solvent! If there is anything in your body that needs to be dissolved, it should probably be done under a doctor’s care, not willy nilly.

There is no benefit to propyl alcohol that cannot be achieved with healthier substances.

Propyl alcohol can be listed in your personal care products or foods by any of these names: rubbing alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, isopropanol, 2-propanol, propan-2-ol, or the abbreviation IPA.

Read each of my personal care health tips to learn some great tips to take care of your body.

This tip is a part of my disease prevention section. Be sure to read all my other disease prevention health tips to learn how to keep yourself and your family healthy!

Do your health a favor and rid your home completely of any products that contain this chemical.

Sign up for free health tips at