Health Tips - Sunburn Remedy
Black tea is one of the better sunburn remedies, easily available everywhere and inexpensive.
- Brew a cup of tea, let it cool and use the tea bag or a cloth to pat the tea over irritated skin. Black tea removes the heat and pain of the burn, and makes your skin less likely to peel. It also tends to turn the burn into a tan due to the "tannins" in it. Tannins or tannic acid are chemicals from various plant parts which are capable of promoting tanning. (From the French word "tan" which means "crushed oak bark".)
- If brewing isn’t an option, soak several black tea bags in water, allowing the tannin to release. When the water darkens, it is ready to use.
- If your eyelids are sunburned, put ice cubes in cooled tea and use the tea bags as compresses directly on your eyelids.
- If you can lie flat, you can leave the tea bags on irritated skin for 20 minutes or more.
- If you are busy, strain the tea into a spray bottle for use while you are on the run. Shake the bottle and spray onto burnt skin. Do not spray into your eyes.
- You can repeat the tea dousing as often as you like to increase the soothing effect.
Read each of my personal care health tips to learn some great tips to take care of your body.